Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Final Night Blog

The purpose of this unit was to:
  • Refresh your memory about the facts surrounding the Holocaust and WWII.
  • Expose you to a first-hand account of what the Holocaust was like for a person your age.
  • Encourage you to feel sympathy and empathy for Holocaust victims and survivors.
  • Examine discrimination in the current world and think of ways to stop it.
  • Read a Memoir and learn new vocabulary words and reading strategies.
  • Provide opportunities to creatively express your reflection of the book. (poetry day is tomorrow)
  • Learn more about figurative language, metaphors, and symbolism that authors use to communicate to readers.
In the blog reflect on your experience reading Night.
1. Which objectives above do you feel were met for you and give examples of how they were met (what is one or two things you learned specifically from the unit that helped you).
2. Give to your teachers one suggestion for ways these purposes can be met in the future. What might have helped you more?

30 comments:

  1. in reading "night" it was interesting. i learned what the people had to face, and the things they had to do. i think thats pretty horrible, yeah i wouldnt want that happening to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe all of the objectives were met. thru different activities we learned more about the holocaust and ways to comprehend what we are reading and how it fits into everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the things above that were met for me were knowing what it was like to be living at the time of the holocaust. i think by elie writing a book, and giving us such vivid details that it really helped me to know what it really was like. i don't think that if we would've watched the movie of night first, if one even exsists, it would've helped us understand more because we would have that picture in our head when we were reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone our age this would be hard to be 15 years old. Us being teenagers theres things in life we need to go through to make us better people and those people dealing with this didnt go through that. This book made me see that you dont know what you have until you see whats going on with other people. If we would have done more things dealing with each chapter like a poster and actually looked in on what was going on other than reading it i thing that that would have help a little more but other than that my teacher did a great job on explaning the book to us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the war was gay because they had no way to defined there selfs. We should have liked all the germans for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AFter reading Night, i feel many objectives were met. I learned so much more about the Holocaust that i never knew about before. I have a better understanding with this topic and i saw how much pain they went through. I learned more about their concentration camps and what they did, what they were like, and what they went through. Food rations were small, they were worked to the bone, it was just a horrible experience. Most importatnly, i learned that loss of faith was the quickest way of death during the Holocaust, and those who have survived kept their faith the whole way through. One suggestion i have that could help classes in the future is maybe having more visuals and pictures about the Holocaust and what it was like. That seems to give readers a better understanding of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now understand the book night and everything that occurred during the Holocaust. This book taught me alot about how bad Jews were treated and what it would be like for one of us to be in the Holocaust. A way these objectives can be met in the future is to have everyone summarize each chapter and talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few of the objectives that were met for me during this unit were being exposed to a first-hand account of what the Holocaust was like for a person my age and also examining the discrimination in the current world and thinking of ways to stop it. These goals were met for me by reading Night and seeing what Elie went through and how hard it really was for someone so young during that time and by completing the world discrimination project and reading the articles about what is going on right now in the U.S. and in different countries as well.
    One way learning these things may have been easier was to do more activites with the vocab in class to help students learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me, the feeling of what it was like for someone my age to be in the holocaust was the best thing i learned while reading Night. i think it was the best thing because i knew how horrible the holocaust was before i started reading this book, but with all the details that were given, and the things Elie did to survive made me realize how even more tragic it was. And the fact that when it was all said and done with, Elie was only fifteen but looked like he was twenty-five.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The objectives that really helped me throughout this chapter was the reading a memoir and learnign new vocabulary words and reading strategies. That really helped me because learning to vocab words helps your everyday life. Another objective that really helped me was refreshing my memory about World War II and the Holocaust. Throughout the years, i've learned alot about WWII and the Holocaust but my memory isn't that great so I couldn't really think of anything in the beginning of the chapter.



    One suggestion that I have for Mrs.Logan is to make us watch more videos or slideshows of what it was like back in that period of time. It would probably give us a very good idea of what it looked like even though we have seen tons of pictures.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel as thought all of them have been met for me. Although they all have, I think it exposed me to a first hand account of what the Holocaust was like. I knew it was bad but never this bad. I learned new things about it that I never thought happened before. That objective was the one that struck me the hardest. Maybe in the future these objectives can be met by maybe watching more movies on the subject. I know I learn more with visuals more that words on a page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DISCRIMINATION IS NOT GOOD!

    Love Ben Kokoska

    ReplyDelete
  13. the objectives that were met for me are that i got to expirence a first hand account of what the Holocaust was for a person around my age, and learn more about figurative language and symbolism that authors use to communicate to readers. first of all, elie was about 16 when he had to expirence the Holocause and most people this age dont have to worry about whether or not they will wake up the next morining with there father next to them or not and most dont have to starve and do all of the physical labor. the figurative language and symbolism objective was met by teaching me about symbolism like foreshadowing and metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Night in 6th grade and there were things that I didn't see before. When I read it again in 10th grade I read about all the grusome details that took place in Elie's life. What helped me understand the book was drawing pictures on the quizzes since it appealed to me because I like to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. One of the objectives that i feel that met for me would probley be reading a memoir and learning how new vocab words could help your learn about the book you are reading. Some examples would be reading the book night and actually learing about the holocost and having a more understanding of what happend at that time. Another would be learning new vocab words and learning how they talked back then in the holocost.
    2. One suggesiton for this would be trying to have more activites that have more ways to learn about figurative language.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well i've learned more about the holocaust, the book improved my vocab and i realized that i can actually start and finish reading a book. honestly i think everything was taught well and i understood everything so i dont have any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think reading Night encouraged me to feel sympathy and empathy for Holocaust victims and survivors. This was met when I read about the Jewish people being tortured, like the children being thrown in fire pits by the truckfuls. I also learned more about figurative language, metaphors, and symbolism that authors use to communicate to the readers. I learned this by interpreting the text that Elie Wiesel wrote in Night. One example is when Elie described the houses as open tombs. This helped me to realize that you can use figurative language to strongly describe a specific scene. One suggestion that I have is to create a detailed project to refresh our memories of the Holocaust before we read Elie. I think having a refreshing project would have helped me get in the mood of the Holocaust before reading Night.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The objectives that were met for me included refreshing my memory of facts about the holocaust, and I learned some new things about the holocaust just by reading what happened to Elie. I liked reading a first-hand account of what happened at concentration camps. I feel sympathy for people at concentration camps from reading the conditions at the camps. I learned about how much discrimination is still in the world from doing the projects.

    I feel Mrs. Logan did a great job at helping us meet these objectives. I think in the future there could be more discussions in class about what happened in the book and other camps during the holocaust. I don't think there is too much more Mrs. Logan could do to meet these objectives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. While reading Night I met all of the objectives in this unit. My memory was refreshed when we ranked things that were most responsible in letting the Holocuast happen. I was also shown discrimination in the world today by the discrimination website activity. Elie Wiesel also used excellent figurative language and symbolism which gave me an understanding of it all. I think that if we had more classroom discussions and debates with the entire class I would have been able to express my reflection of the book and for me to see how others saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When we started to read the book "Night" I was very uncertain of what exactly happened during the holocaust. At the time i had not learned about it in history and having the powerpoint and the detailed facts before even starting the book helped me to understand the full seriousness I was going to hear about in the book. When I started reading the book I learned that women were automatically killed when entering the concentration camps. Also, having the orange paper jewish vocabulary words helped me to really understand what Elie was talking about. For example, when the book first started Elie mentioned the Kapo and I had no idea what that was if I wouldn't have had that paper. One thing i would want to change is to have more symoblism questions on a test. I like being challenged and interpretating the meanings of things in the stories that aren't obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definately learned many new vocabulary words during this unit. I did examine discimination in the new world with the partner project we did. It helped to show me how much racism and discrimination is really out there. I was also shown a first hand account of what the Holocaust was really like for people. It was a sickening time period. There is not much that can be done that could help me more. I thought the unit was great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Read a Memoir and learn new vocabulary words and reading strategies. I learned words that i didnt know.
    The one that wasn't met for me was learn more about figurative language, metaphors, and symbolism that authors use to communicate to readers becuase we really didnt learn alot about it we just went over it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this book made me refresh my memory about the facts surrounding the hoocaust and WWII. i liked when we went over the questins for the homework that helped me alot. You guys are the best you guys did a good job teaching us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i think what worked for the best was to examine discrimination in the curret days and think of how to stop it. also what worked was be exposed to first-hand account of what the holocaust was like for a person my age. what didnt work very well llearing the figurative language, metaphors, and symbolism. one other thing that didnt work was vocublary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think the Learn more about figurative language, metaphors, and symbolism that authors use to communicate to readers was met for me during this class.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must admit that hearing a first hand acount of the Holocaust was good. I was always wondering what being at a consantration camp yould be like, and by reading the book i found out. And i realy don't have any suggestions for the two of you it was all good

    ReplyDelete
  27. None.Mrs.Logan explain everything to me completely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think that the dicrimination project was the best. I think but Mrs. Logan giving us the freedom to pick what we were intersted in for the project. I picked a very interested one. Two things i specifically learned was that things like in the holocaust really did happen and it was insaine. I also learned that you should not treat people any different than any other perso. Because of their color, race, religion, etc. For fututre reference to the teacher i think that you should give out more quizes and extra credit for the book that we read.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i liked reading the book called night because i am German and i would hate to be treated like that because of my race or eye color and religion and much more and i hated how they treated the Jews and the Gays and more Germans and Blacks so i do not think i would have wanted to live back than and and so i think you guys are cool and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  30. i dont think anyone could feel what they felt except themselves. so it was only a review on history.

    ReplyDelete